Your dream was to rebuild this ship. After all, a ship is still a ship. That is also what my old teacher told me,

though I never completely understood what he meant. (From the movie: the Last Viking)



Briefly about the beginning and rebuilding.


To rebuild an old ship that’s in bad shape is perhaps the most beautiful thing in the World. The renewal means a little resurrection as well, as we know, ships have souls…A ship will be grateful and will love you for a successful renewal…

Every single bolt and little detail is well known after a thorough renewal, it’s essential during a longer voyage. I did this renewal to get thoroughly familiar with the ship and its technology.

I also learned while doing this rebuilding to be patient, and to respect the labor…

It isn’t cost efficient to rebuild an old ship, but I knew that even before starting.


When I first laid eyes on Carina in October 2004, it was like:


November 2004: I liked and bought her, then had it towed from Csepel (South Budapest)  to Újpest (North Budapest) to my Grandfather’s garden. A real problem was to move the ship into the yard. No crane could pass through the 2.5m wide gate, so we had to slide and lever up the ship over some 10 meters of wet ground before finally succeeding!

The big job:

After lifting on the KCR:;

Before starting:


Interesting solutions:

In the gate:;


Gramps cooked us a wonderful lunch. Thank you!

The lunch:;

The keys to my ship:

The great Team:

Thanks everybody!


March 2005:

The first serious inspection of the ship.

Still wrapped up after a long winter:

Osmosis below the waterline in many places:

Bottom of the rudder slightly rotted:

Small crack in the keel:

The engine started up (evidently the starter worked):

The insides:

I’ll have a lot of work to do…:


Removing the rudder and skeg (they’re badly rotted)

disassembling the rudder:

rudder in hand:


April 2005:

While cutting out and sanding the rudder and skeg:

cutting out the skeg;

sanding the rudder;

sanding the ship’s hull;


Gray weekends, sanding the whole hull (because of osmosis):



While working:

Keel repair:

Gluing the cabin roof:


May 2005:

1. Caulking over the whole ship.

Laminating and gelling:




After gelling:

2. Replacing the windows.

3. Oiling and lacquering wooden parts.

4. Re-wiring and checking the lighting and electronics.

5. Removing the inboard engine:


My sailing boat model is ready, and it has sailed by itself already.

boat’s hull:


prior to starting:




June 2005:

1. The new Rudder, lifting the ship.

new rudder:

keel blocks:

ship on keel blocks:

2. Caulking and laminating the holes and cracks in the ship’s hull.


July – August 2005:

1.       Disassembling the (24 year old) engine and drive. Replacing the gaskets and water pump; then changing the oil of course…and many other little things, but it runs!!

2.       Laminating and gelling the new rudder and skeg.

3.       Sanding the insides of the cabin.

4.       Sanding and painting the after compartment

5.       Removing and checking out mounts and equipment (like cleats, blocks),

6.       Poly-foam to replace the sponge in the cabin. Planning and buying it.


Fall 2005:  

1.       Planning and making the inside furnishings. Drilling, sometimes carving and lots of lacquering J

2.       Purchasing the required equipment.


End of November 2005:

Winterizing and covering the ship.


April 2006:

Complete replacement of all ropes on the mast.

Corresponded/corresponding with Jeroen (Netherland) about rebuilding Carina type sailing boat.

He’s going to sail to England and Germany in a rebuilt Carina this summer. Fair winds!

Sanding, caulking and painting the hull with a spray gun.


May 2006:

Planning/making the stand for the solar panel

Sanding and painting the dock edging

Re-installing the engine, muffler and instruments in the ship

Mast and sail test in the yard.


June 2006:

Completion of inner furnishings.

Laminating/painting 2 shelves in the rear compartment (for 2 gas bottles)

Painting the ship’s eye

Installing mounts for the Auto-pilot and electronics.


July 2006:

Gluing laticel on the bunks

Caulking the rear compartment and installing the lock mechanism

Installing the gas stove

Planning and installing the mount for the wind generator

Installing and testing the wind generator


August 2006:

Shakedown sail on the Danube (engine, sails, mast…)


September 2006:

Finished rebuilding the ship. Preparations will continue for a month on the Adriatic.

There will also be more serious test cruises. I’ll record those in my Yacht log.


More photos:


Translated by Laszlo Kapitány